So it looks like the football season is ending with barely a whimper, and we may not see any tennis or cricket at all this summer.
So there’s time to indulge in a little nostalgia. Here are some memorable goals of the 1980s, in no particular order, a decade during which this writer cared passionately about the game, unlike now… (Favourite players: Glenn Hoddle, Bryan Robson, Ray Houghton, Matt Le Tissier, Gordon Davies, Steve ‘Headband’ Foster.)
Ray Wilkins and Jimmy Case’s strikes have special significance, as I was present at the games, and I certainly would have been watching Ricky Villa, Steve MacKenzie and Norman Whiteside’s wondergoals live on the TV. But all of the below still deliver a frisson of excitement.
(And for those who can’t stand football – and I kind of sympathise – normal service will be resumed shortly…)
15. Jan Molby: Liverpool v Manchester United, 26th November 1985
14. Ray Wilkins: Manchester United v Brighton, 21st May 1983
13. John Barnes: England v Brazil, 10th June 1984
12. George Best: San Jose Earthquakes v Fort Lauderdale Strikers, June 1981
11. Norman Whiteside: Manchester United v Everton, 18th May 1985
10. Jimmy Case: Brighton v Sheffield Wednesday, 16th April 1983 (at 1:40 below)
9. Diego Maradona: Argentina v England, 22nd June 1986
8. Marco Van Basten: Holland v Soviet Union, 25th June 1988
7. Ricky Villa: Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester City, 14th May 1981
6. Glenn Hoddle: Tottenham Hotspur v Watford, 24th September 1983
5. Justin Fashanu: Norwich City v Liverpool, 9th February 1980
4. Cyrille Regis: West Bromwich Albion v Norwich, 13th February 1982
3. Graeme Sharp: Everton v Liverpool, 20th October 1984
2. Steve MacKenzie: Manchester City v Tottenham Hotspur, 14th May 1981
1. Kenny Dalglish: Scotland v Belgium, 15th December 1982
Any great 1980s goals missing from the list? Get in touch below.